To: All Faculty and Staff
AUR is pleased to announce that, with immediate effect, it is enforcing a restriction to its smoking areas as part of its commitment to:
- providing a healthy environment that promotes the well-being and safety of students, faculty, staff, and visitors
- minimizing the negative effects of passive smoke
- improving fire safety
- encouraging a more sustainable environment
The smoking restriction will be as follows:
Main Campus Garden
- The designated smoking area will be under the gazebo on gate’s side. The rest of the garden is now smoke-free.
- The designated smoking area is the one at the far right end side of the building as you are walking in through the gate. The rest of the Carini garden is now smoke-free.
- The designated smoking area is the one by the far end of the garden, closest to the church. The rest of the Library garden is now smoke-free.
Building B Terrace
- The designated smoking area is the one furthest from the entrance. The rest of the terrace is now smoke free.
Building A Terrace (AUR personnel only)
- The designated smoking area is the one under the gazebo opposite the kitchen entrance (as far away as possible from it), when the table is not occupied. Meetings are often held on the remaining part of the terrace, and offices often have their windows open, therefore we ask you to PLEASE limit the smoking to one at a time.
All designated areas are clearly marked.
Cigarette ends must be put away in the purpose made ashtrays and must not be thrown onto the floor.
All internal areas remain smoke-free.
This policy applies to any individual on campus property, including but not limited to students, faculty, staff, other employees, contractors, subcontractors, volunteers, visitors and members of the public, and is applicable twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. The policy applies to all forms of tobacco, including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, water pipes, electronic cigarettes, and smokeless tobacco products.
The success of this policy depends on the thoughtfulness, consideration, and cooperation of smokers and non-smokers. It is the responsibility of all Faculty and Administrative staff to comply with it and to enforce it amongst students. As per the attached extract from the revised Student Handbook, fines may be applied to community members who fail to observe these rules.
Thank you for contributing to the wellbeing of our community.
President’s Chief of Staff